Google introduces new home for work on G SuiteSyah Ismail
Google has announced a new integrated workspace experience that brings Chat, Meet and Gmail together on desktop and mobile.
Earlier this year, Google introduced Chat in Gmail on the web and Meet in Gmail on the web and mobile. With this launch, Google is adding Chat in Gmail on mobile and enhancing the collaboration features in rooms across both web and mobile. New shared files and tasks in rooms will make them an even better solution for longer-term projects.
Gmail across web and mobile will now feature four distinct components:
- Mail which has not changed and is the same Gmail experience users know and love.
- Chat which allows users to message individuals and small groups directly.
- Rooms which are spaces that include shared chat, files, and tasks to help groups more easily work on projects.
- Meet which features upcoming meetings that you can view and join.
This launch will create a better home for work that intelligently brings together the people, content and tasks you need to make the most of your time. It will not only integrate core tools like video, chat, email, files and tasks but it’ll also make them better together, so that you can more easily stay on top of things, from anywhere.
With a centralised location for your communication and collaboration, you’ll be able to:
- Spend less time switching between apps.
- Choose the right channel for the job.
- More effectively collaborate on project work.
- Search emails and chats from one place.
With this launch, you’ll also be able to open and co-edit a document with your team without leaving Gmail. This will make it easier for you to collaborate directly within the context of where you’re doing your work at that moment.
In addition, Google will introduce several new tools to help you prioritise and stay focused. You’ll be able to:
- Assign group tasks.
- Get notified about task updates in rooms.
- Pin important rooms so they’re easier to find and access.
- Set your availability to “Do not disturb.”
- Better protect your time with status notices in Chat like “Out of office.”
- See files shared in a room.
These features will launch to all domains with Chat preferred enabled. Chat preferred can be enabled at the organisational unit (OU) or domain level. Google is currently rolling out the new features and will be available to all G Suite users over the coming weeks.